St. Davids is the smallest Cathedral City in Britain and is the shrine of the patron saint of Wales. The magnificent 12th Century Cathedral nestles in a hollow beside the ruins of the Bishop’s Palace which was built around 1340.
The painting shows the Cathedral and the ancient gatehouse which was the main approach from the Bishop’s borough outside the Close Wall. The octagonal tower contains a ring of eight bells. St David, or Dewi Saint as the Welsh call him, chose this sheltered valley of the River Alun to found his religious colony in the middle of the sixth century.
This is the most westerly region of Wales and is part of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park with outstanding scenery all around the peninsula.
Copyright Rita Mitchell Studio